Friday, March 17, 2023

Reuben Sandwich

I'm of Irish decent. Only about 12% (it's beaten out by German and Scottish). With the maiden name of O'Brien I am legally obligated to celebrate my Irishness. Growing up, most of my family decided that we didn't like corned beef and cabbage. A few years ago I decided to try corned beef with my adult children. It was a strong "Meh". The next year I decided to try Ruebens. I mean, it's still cabbage, right? After a couple of years we decided to throw the sandwiches on the panini press. After all, everything tastes so much better on a panini press. This is now our go-to Rueben recipe.


Rueben Sandwich

Ingredients:

8 slices Rye bread
½ c Thousand Island Dressing
8 slices Swiss Cheese
8 slices Corned Beef (we used oven-baked corned beef, I'll attach that recipe here tomorrow)
1 c Sauerkraut, drained
2 Tbs Butter, softened

Directions
  • Preheat a panini press.
  • Butter one side of all the bread.
  • Spread Thousand Island dressing evenly on other side of four bread slices. 
  • On four buttered bread slices, with butter side down, layer 
    • one slice Swiss cheese
    • 2 slices corned beef
    • 1/4 cup sauerkraut
    • second slice of Swiss cheese. 
  • Top with remaining bread slice, dressing-side down.
  • Place sandwiches, butter-side down on the preheated panini press.
  • Grill until both sides are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
  • Serve hot.

        Enjoy!

        Ingrid

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments . If you found a way to make these recipes even better, please share your ideas with us.